≡ Menu

How to Make Bokashi Fermented Wheat Bran

A Short Video to explain how simple it is to make some bokashi:

To learn more about this product and the process, you may want to read this and this.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments on this entry are closed.

• Court August 5, 2006, 11:46 am

Awesome! Thank you! Can’t wait for the update.

• susie September 10, 2006, 1:46 pm

thanks for that advice-really helpful podcast
    Please let us know how to make EMs!

• NaturalDesignChick November 16, 2006, 11:42 am

I am quite intriqued by bokashi. I’ve found wheat bran at my local feed store & high mineral sea salt and molasses at the organic food place. I need to order up some EM but am not certain where or how much to purchase. Also, do you feel that the ceramic powders add a lot to the efficiency of the bokashi? Thanks for this great podcast & looking forward to more!

• neal December 18, 2006, 10:00 am

NaturalDesignChick,

Thanks for commenting on the site. I am unfortunately out of pure EM solution to sell.

As for the ceramic powder–depending on what you are using the bokashi for I think it is well worth the addition. When I make livestock feed grade bokashi–fermenting grains rather than bran, I don’t add the ceramic powder, but rather include kelp meal and sea salts. But if I am making bokashi for the garden for composting kitchen scraps or direct use or when I am extending the pure em culture–also called activating it–before using it to make bokashi or for direct spraying on plants I add the ceramic powder.

I can’t say 100% that it works or what it does, but it seems to be backed up by research and also, interestingly enough, by Rudolph Steiner’s Biodynamic theories. The em ceramics when they are created have the capacity to attract infared and far-red radiation. These wavelength can be beneficial to plants and root development. When the ceramics are turned into dust that dust when incorporated in the soil or sprayed on the leaves acts not only as millions of tiny mirrors reflecting many wavelengths of light, but also to some degree as a mineral food source for the plants. I’ll leave you to experiment and draw your own conclusions. There are farmers who spray the dust on their fields who swear by it alone.

Hope this helps.

All the best,

Neal

• Jolynn June 2, 2007, 7:42 am

Very helpful video, thank you so much. Once the bokashi bran has fermented, does it need to be dried to store it or can it be bagged still moist and are there any temperature considerations for storage? Thanks again.
    Jolynn

• neal June 3, 2007, 7:09 am

Jolynn,

If you are going to be using the bokashi right away, then you can get away with leaving it moist. It will last this way, if stored air tight for about a month. I never dry mine because I use up each batch before it begins to mold and turn sour.

If you need to store a batch of bokashi for any length of time, then it should be dried out. It must still be stored air-tight and kept from getting moist. A low oven can be used to dry it out overnight, or somewhere in the sunshine.

Hope this helps.

Neal

• Izhizm June 13, 2007, 12:09 am

very helpful video, thanks Neal

cant wait for your next video on making ‘microbial innoculant’. Looking forward to that .

• Maya October 22, 2007, 11:23 am

Question: We have used EM from EMamerica to create more EM for our small wastewater lagoon and had dramatic results. Will bokashi solutions work as well, (I hope?) I hear pro’s and con’s. Thank you.

• georg January 3, 2008, 7:11 pm

Hi,

great site and video, thanks. Can sterilized mushroom compost be used in place of wheat bran when making bokashi? I want to use the bokashi for agriculture and I do want want the wheat bran in the compost. thanks again!

• John Taylor July 12, 2008, 4:43 am

Hi,

very informative video, I’m about to embark on making my first batch of bokashi bran, wish me luck !!

Thanx for the info,

JT.

• Ines July 15, 2008, 7:06 pm

Hello,
    Great video, very helpful. I want to make my own bokashi, but for right now I would like to use straight EM from the bottle instead of making my own inoculant (that’s the next step). How much should I use for 10lb of bran?

Thanks!!